Housing Tenant Injuries

Housing Tenant InjuriesIf you have had an accident at home and you live in a council house, housing association or private rental you may be able to make a tenant injury compensation claim.

The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 states that a landlord has an implied duty that a property will be ‘fit for human habitation’ at the start of the tenancy, and that it will be kept so during the tenancy.

The Act also states that the landlord is under a duty to keep the installations in the property in proper working order, so that if something is broken – for example a boiler breaks down and there is no hot water – the landlord must arrange repairs.

Landlords tent to have property insurance that covers claims against the landlord for negligence.

Common housing tenant injury claims are:

  • Defective surfaces, flooring or loose carpets
  • Cupboards, doors or furniture collapsing, falling off hinges
  • Defective banisters or safety support railing
  • Lack of lighting
  • Leaking pipes or roofs
  • Glass doors with no safety glass and faulty window frames
  • Carbon monoxide poisoning

Gary Williams Solicitors have expert knowledge in the area of housing tenant injuries and achieve excellent results.